• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Shingles shot

marguerite2

DH and I still need to get our shingles shot. I just read that in 2023 it will be fully covered by Medicare D and Advantage. Procrastination is going to save me money.

Now all we need to do is find a place that accepts the coverage. When DH got his pneumonia shot a couple of years ago, we found out that the local CVS, where we had always gone for flu shots, didn't accept Medicare for pneumonia shots. The local Walgreens did, so he went there.

Advertisement

amiga13

Your post confuses me, but I’m thinking that must be because I have Medicare Advantage. I’ve never paid for any vaccinations (Shingles, Covid, flu).

And you say “shingles shot.” For me it was a series of 2 shots.

marguerite2

I said shingles shot, but I should have said the two shot series. They don't give the single shingles shot any longer.
I'm glad your Advantage plan paid for your shots in full. Not all do now. My friend had a $150 copay. Mine would currently be about $100. In 2023 no copay for anyone on Medicare.

sonoma

Your post confuses me, but I’m thinking that must be because I have Medicare Advantage. I’ve never paid for any vaccinations (Shingles, Covid, flu).

And you say “shingles shot.” For me it was a series of 2 shots.
I didn’t realize it was two shots when I got my first own. The only time I have ever had pain following a shot. I am dreading going back for the second one.

PoohBear

I had the single before I was 65 and my insurance paid. I got the 2 shot series this year and my Medicare advantage paid. But after watching my mom suffer long lasting effects of shingles I would have thought it totally worth it even if I’d had to pay.

mhugs

Shingle shot use to be one dose. Now it is a two dose protocol.
Think I was under regular insurance when I got my 2 doses. We've never had trouble with CVS accepting our Medicare/supplemental with United American.

Advertisement

luvmycat

I know my husband's copay was $15 for the first. The pharmacist recommended making sure he got his second before the end of the year because the copay could go up. I'm glad to see that Medicare is now picking up the whole thing.

Beach Glass

I would check around. I got my shots pre-Medicare, so I can't help you there. Check with your District Health Department. DH and I have received ALL of our vaccinations there, and never paid anything, either before Medicare or on Medicare. In fact. our 2 daughters got all of their childhood vaccinations there, too.

NJ Teacher

I remember paying for my two shot series. I completed it just before being eligible for the first Covid vaccine. Checking for coverage is so important. A few years ago, I learned my local wellness center where I go to the gym, was offering flu shots. It would be so convenient, because I am there many days of the week. They did not accept my insurance, unfortunately. It was probably before I was Medicare eligible. I got it at one of the drug stores, no problem.

TAOEP

I had not heard that Medicare will be covering Shingrex. That's good news--and they should cover it. The complications and pain of shingles can be bad.

I got my Shingrex vaccine while I was working and in an HMO. The HMO covered all vaccines given in the doctor's office. The problem was that the doctor's office didn't carry that vaccine. After a lot of back and forth and about a year's time, the HMO agreed that I could get the vaccine elsewhere, pay for it myself, and they would reimburse me. Done!

westwitch

No problem here in MA; CVS covered the two-dose Shringrex with no payment under Medicare. I've never been sicker from shots, but so worth not having shingles!

Advertisement