• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Social Studies Curriculum Suggestions?

Social Studies 

Roxy87

Hello! The social studies curriculum that I have at my Catholic school is ancient and I want to try a new one. What social studies curriculum do you use or do you suggest? Thank you!

Advertisement

Sbkangas5

Social studies curriculum? I know not of what you speak... :p

Seriously, 11 years and 3 schools and I've never had one. :rolleyes:

Tiffany

Social Studies

Does your state have standards? I'd start there. Our standards come from Engage NY but we use our own materials and activities to teach.

ICrazyTeach

I have found that kindergarten social studies programs just aren't very good. I think the best thing to do is look at standards and then find books to use to anchor your instruction--National Geographic has some great books.

ConnieWI

I Agree...

Look at your state standards. Then decide what trade books you want to use to teacher these standards. From there, you can create or hunt for activities to go with the standards.

My kindergarten staff is responsible for teaching simple map skills, home, family, friendship, simple land forms, transportation, farms, and community helpers. (I may be forgetting a few.)

Within the simple land forms unit, they not only learn about the desert, mountains, Arctic, pond, etc., but also the plants and animals that live there.

Within the community helpers unit, they take many field trips...fire station, police station, hospital, vet clinic, grocery store, etc.

Advertisement

MamaChickadee

Social Studies Weekly

We use the Texas version of Social Studies Weekly. Each student gets a little newspaper (kind of like Weekly Reader). The lessons are very basic with lots of pictures, but exactly what I need to help me with social studies in kindergarten. By the end of the year, students can help me read the text and captions.

AddieJ

I think social studies is a great time to try some project-based learning! Does anyone do those in kinder? Examples to share or ideas of where to get started? I hear some great things about "Genius Hour" in older grades and would love some resources for younger students. TIA

Advertisement