• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Spelling Center Ideas

Reading | Literature 

pirateguy

My school started Balanced Literacy a couple of years ago, and I still do not care for some of the ideas. I am having a hard time finding worth while Spelling center ideas for my students to complete.
I do the basic
ABC order
Write 5 times each
Put in a sentence
word search

I am bored with those and need to find something better!

Please help.

Advertisement

proteach4

spelling

I used text a friend your spelling words. I found an image of a phone key pad and the students had to write the corresponding numbers. For example, cat is 228. Also, I assigned each letter of the alphabet a coin value and the students had to figure out how much each word was worth and which word had the greatest value and least value. I would attach a copy of the coin values and the phone key pad, but they are at school.

hsday

spelling

I have magnified spelling - students use a magnifying glass and colored garage sale stickers and write their words on the stickers (does that make sense?)

They look up in the dictionary and write down the guide words on that page.

We use ############.com

Spelling circles - students hold a bean bag and say the first letter of the word and hand the bean bag to the next person who says the next letter. It continues until the word is finished or a mistake is made and they start over.

Write an acrostic poem using a spelling word.

Criss Cross - students use graph paper to connect the words as you would playing scrabble.

I have modified dice which say things such as, choose a word with a long vowel, find a word that is a verb, noun, short vowel, two words that start with the same letter, two words that rhyme, etc. They write the list of words as they roll a die.

They also have the words on paper to cut and sort into spelling patterns. They will glue the words into their groups and tell me the rule for how the words were sorted.

I have many others, that is just what I can think of right now while I'm at home. I only allow a few a week and we rotate them throughout the year.

I'm not sure how you do this, but spelling is only a few minutes a day. So each week I might give them a choice of five or six, and they usually only have time for one a day.

hsday

###

I don't know why the link didn't work. It is spelling city . com (all words connected)

sus602

Use Scrabble tiles

Students spell the words using Scrabble tiles and find the value of the word. I used the paper tiles. I haven't tried it but they could actually play Scrabble using only their spelling words. That would be a challenge.

Advertisement

sus602

Use Scrabble tiles

Students use Scrabble tiles to spell their words and find the value of each word. I use the paper tiles. I haven't tried it but they could actually play Scrabble using their spelling words. That would be a challenge for them.

Gommergirl

More ideas

Using white paper have the students write the words using white crayons. Then using watercolor paint, paint over the words and they magically appear! My class last year loved it!

Pyramid words... say the word is flat the kids would write f
fl
fla
flat

Find alphabet noodles and have the students find the letters and glue onto paper.

Rainbow words... Write the words using one color for consonants and another for vowels.

Advertisement