When I helped with council here were some of the projects we did:
1. We had a pet food drive for a local animal shelter. It was a big success. The shelter was very appreciative.
2. We also collected toiletries for a local womans shelter. Toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, chapstick, soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc.
3. We did a community clean-up around our school. We did this on a day off in the am, cleaning up the park, the baseball diamond and our playground. We had a pizza place donate a few pies for lunch. We bought 5 and they donated the other 5.
4. One of the kids came up with the idea to make buttons for our local team. They had a little table where the kids could design their button and a parent had the machine that punched the buttons together.
5. A school store is also a popular idea. We have one run by our council. The kids love buying the pencils, erasers, grips and what not.