• Welcome teachers! Log in or Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Sub Requirements?


Senior Member
What are the education requirements in your district(s) in order to be a sub? Do they require degrees? <!--schoolhouse-->


Full Member
I believe...

With both districts I sub for, I believe you just have to have 60 credit hours of college. I have my license and some teaching experience. Because of this, they call me before those with just college credits. It goes like this as far as who they call first - retired teachers, licensed teachers, then college credit people.

Super Sub

Senior Member
In Missouri all you need are 60 college hours and a clean background check. These qualifications and raising my own kids (10 & 13) are the only background I have for this job. I started subbing in my own children's school. It was nice because I knew all the teachers and how they ran their rooms. Now I do other schools and get to know them as well. I've found very few times when having a a teaching degree or some kind of training would have helped me. I only do elementary so I haven't gotten into really complicated work yet.


Senior Member
It used to be that you needed 90 credit hours in any subject area around here (Michigan). I know one district I sub in, and probably an increasing number of others, now only use certified teachers to sub.

I don't know if they were having trouble with uncertified people subbing, or if they just made it a requirement because they can. Michigan has thousands of unemployed teachers willing to sub, so I don't know that smaller districts really feel they need to open it up to anyone else.


Junior Member

Bachelor's and teaching certificate

Or you can get emergency certification...

From the Pennsylvania Dept. of Education website:
An emergency permit is issued by the Department upon the request of the employing public school entity when a position has been advertised and no fully qualified and properly certificated applicant is available. The candidate for an emergency permit must have earned a bachelor's degree from a state-approved college or university and must meet all other eligibility requirements related to age, citizenship, mental and physical health and good moral character.

The emergency permit may be requested for an individual to serve in a vacant position or as a long-term or day-to-day substitute teacher. The permit is valid from the first day of the month of issuance until the last day of summer school in that school year and may be reissued in subsequent years upon the submission of the appropriate application to the Department from the public school entity and completion of conditions set by the Department.


Full Member
in pennsylvania...

if you don't have a teaching certificate, you can apply for "emergency certification" and you can teach. Thats it. I don't think you need a college degree or anything.


Full Member
I'm in Arkansas and the Only requirments that we have is a Clean background check. Fingerprinting etc.. Other then that nothing. I'm Thankful for that because while I DO have a CDA in early childhood ed through Head start I don't have a "College" degree.


Senior Member
California also requires

that the candidate pass the CBEST exam, have a clean background, and, in some districts, a CLEAR CREDENTIAL!! The latter is ridiculous, I think, and most districts that have tried to enforce that requirement soon find themselves short of subs.


Senior Member

The district where I work requires 60 college hours.. the district I grew up and went to school in requires a high school diploma... I don't think there's a state requirement, just whatever a district decides. I do know that subs with degrees and certificates are paid a higher daily rate and are the preferred choice for long term


Senior Member
subs in my county

In my county you only need a high school diploma. I am ONE of FOUR subs in my county who can actually do long-terms so I am needed. They have a hard time finding people to fill long-terms here. I am glad because I LOVE doing them. I would rather go the same classroom every day. I have my bachelor's degree in education. I am contemplating whether or not I want to have my own classroom some day. After reading some of the posts around here I think I would rather do long-term subbing.


Senior Member
more on California

CA also requires a TB test. I don't have health insurance, so that cost $80.

We also have to renew our 30 day credential every year and pay for it.


Junior Member
In Indiana...

Indiana lets school districts decide. The district I went to (and sub for the most) requires 15 college credits, another requires a clean drug test and 30 credits, two require 30 credits or a sub certificate from another district, one requires 60 credits, and another requires 60 credits or a sub certificate from another district. All require a clean background check.

The urban district near me requires a bachelor's degree. They pay a lot more, but I had to do methods and field experience in several of the schools and there's only a few I would CONSIDER subbing for. Let's just say kids are allowed to cuss, and the school is lax when it comes to discipline.


Senior Member
Washington State

requires a BA in anything to be an Emergency Sub, background check - fingerprints through the FBI. One district, I just discovered has Sub teacher training. THAT would be useful. I worked as a para sub for 3 years and saw lots of "guest teachers" making more $$ than I was, and it "looked" so "easy" ha ha! So I decided to try it.... wow! not as easy as it looks!