• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Tell me about dryer balls

Keltikmom

I keep seeing them pop up in magazines.

What is there purpose?
Do they actually work?
Are they noisy?
Particular brand or type?

Advertisement

hand

I bought the Friendsheep ones last year for myself and DD and DDIL. We like them.I use them mostly for towels but they use them for everything. They work well. I don’t notice the noise but my laundry room is in the base. The company also has a recycling program.

PEPteach

I have tried them over the past year or so. I'm not too impressed. My main issue is they do nothing for static. I don't find them noisy, I just don't find that they do much.

twinmom95

Same as Pepteach. I have 4 wool ones I leave in my dryer all the time. I still throw in a dryer sheet. My laundry is in my downstairs bathroom, so I do hear them clunking around when in there or the kitchen. Otherwise, no.

anabel12

I use them all the time for everything. They do make a thumping noise, but oddly enough it doesn't bother me. I remember reading something about how dryer sheets aren't good to use, but forgot why. Mine are the wool ones. I got them at Marshall's.

GraceKrispy

I have several different types of dryer balls and i throw a mix in. The plastic spiky ones are noisy, the wool- like ones not. I also have ones with Velcro that trap hair. I definitely see what they do, since most of our family has long hair (and a lot of it). Otherwise, i don't notice that i see a lot of difference. I know dryer sheets are not great for machines, but i also didn't notice much they did except make a nice smell.

Advertisement

GreenBunny

I love my dryer balls! I've had the wool ones for a few years now. They don't make any more noise than the dryer makes without them. I had the plastic ones for a while (I wonder what happened to them) and, as I recall, they were a bit noisy.

anabel12 said:
I remember reading something about how dryer sheets aren't good to use, but forgot why.
Here's why. For me, the scent of dryer sheets is a migraine waiting to happen.

Tori58

Dryer sheets have several problems: some have toxic chemicals, they can trigger allergies, they make fabric less absorbant (not good for towels, wicking base layers, etc.), they can clog up your lint screen....

I use the wool type dryer balls. They help your clothes to dry faster and, if you spray them with water first, can also help with static cling and reduce wrinkling. They don't make much noise in the dryer.

WordFountain

Dryer Balls

I love mine and I’m going on 3 years with the same set!

What is their purpose?
A few:
- healthier than dryer sheets (no chemicals)
- speeds up dry times / less energy used

Do they actually work?
Yes!

Are they noisy?
Not the wool kind. The plastic kind with nubs can be noisy.

Particular brand or type?

Budieggs Wool Dryer Balls Dark... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WLCF6P9?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Essential oil

Woolzies 100% Pure & Natural... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081XZXTJN?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I have 2 sets of wool balls from this brand. A gray set and a white set. I use essential oil on the gray set and nothing on the white set. I originally used the white unscented set on my DS from a newborn to now age 3. Essential oils last forever like 6 months per bottle & I do a lot of laundry. My favorite scents are: Rose, Sandalwood & Rose, & Lavendar.

Keltikmom

Dryer balls

So I understand they just make things dry faster? I dont use dryer sheets because they leave a residue that makes me itch.

Ima Spedtcher

Hand- I LOVE the cute ones!

I use wool dryer balls because they help my clothes dry faster (our electric costs are ridiculous). I don’t think they make much noise at all. I don’t use dryer sheets because I honestly don’t know what they actually do. I know you aren’t supposed to use them on towels, microfiber, and who knows what else? So why use them at all?

cvt

dryer sheets

I have wool dryer balls. They seem to shorten the drying time. They are a bit noisy. I got them from Trader Joe's but I don't know if they still carry them.

Dryer sheets have been linked to all sorts of illnesses like asthma, because many of them are made with harmful ingredients that emit EDCs (endocrine disrupting compounds). My DH is very susceptible to the scents in dryer sheets and got headaches and coughs when I used them, so I no longer do.

Ironically, he did buy a box of very strong smelling dryer sheets when he went backpacking in the mountains recently. Yellow-bellied marmots live in the higher elevations and love to chew on wires and tubes inside car engines. Backpackers leave their cars unattended for days or weeks at the time at the trailheads, and marmots have ruined many a car engine. Some backpackers use chickenwire or tarp to surround their cars so marmots can't get into the engine, but apparently dryer sheets work well, too, when shoved into spaces inside the engine. The marmots are repelled by the strong smell. LOL

Haley23

I got some wool ones in a subscription box a couple of years ago. I will throw them in, because they're there, but I honestly don't see much of a difference. I don't notice any shortening of drying time and it's not typical for my clothes to come out of the dryer wrinkly anyway.

I've never used dryer sheets so can't compare. From what I've seen, dryer balls aren't worth the purchase.

Sbkangas5

I've used mine for years. I have the wool ones and the plastic spiky ones. Both work fine. I hate dryer sheets and they are so bad for most fabrics.

Advertisement