• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Testing-Rest of Class Ideas?

Grading | Assessment 

trasie

Any suggestions what to do with the rest of the class while one-on-one testing? I’d love to count on my aide but she is constantly pulled to help in other areas of the school. (Currently I have no access to computers for students to work on.)

Last edited:
Advertisement

happykids

I let mine play. Of course, I lay down the expectations of noise level and how many kids can play.

We gatehr after 15 minutes and take a Brain Break together. Then I give them a few new choices. Or, I give them choices for at their tables. They can ALMOST get to 15 minutes of dry erase boareds or journals.

Not sure how large your group is. Mine is 24 and we often need to regroup and remind of the rules and take a break. It takes us a while.

Good luck.

Sbkangas5

I let them play as well. Or sometimes I will pull kids during centers and not take a small group for a while. I try to just do one or two assessments at a time so it only takes a few minutes and they aren't missing out on a ton of play time.

anna

I taught my kids Lego group work skills and Playdough on a tray skills. This was part of the first six weeks of procedure training. If you use these two things sparingly and only for assessment you are all set for the year.

trasie

Thanks for all of the ideas. I’ll go ahead with play and since we’ve done play-doh successfully (and they loved it) that will be a special surprise.

anna

For those interested here is the list I had for teaching micro-skills within play doh use:

how to open the can; listen for snap sound for the lid when you put away the playdoh,how to clean the tray before putting the playdoh ball into the can, how to keep your body and hands centered near and over the tray,where to put the lid when you open the can,how to take out the play dough,where play doh must always be

Advertisement