• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

That’s not the mail carrier!

NCteacher

One of my former students works from home. She was expecting a package and heard someone walking on the front porch. She sent her 4 year old to the front door to get the package. The little girl came into her mom’s office and said that it was a teddy bear.

• 0AE1D31D-B1D3-4071-85FD-0B794BFD2AE8.jpg
    96.3 KB
Advertisement

PoohBear

I’m very glad she didn’t try to pet the “teddy bear”! <!--misspeak--> I agree bears are getting too comfortable around houses. My granddaughter was taking the trash to the garbage can a couple of days ago when she saw a bear dragging a garbage bag up their driveway.

Advertisement

1956BD

That is scary!

Glad the little girl is safe.

Maybe the bear was looking for water. I know here it is dry and wildlife are suffering.

Linda/OH

bear

That's actually pretty scary! Glad she didn't open the door. I've seen lots of videos lately of bears on porches and decks. Maybe 1956 is right, looking for food and water?

Tori58

Bears are getting very brave.

I've heard of a number of instances recently where black bears behaved in uncharacteristically fearless and aggressive ways. Apparently there is a virus out there causing a brain infection in some bears that causes them to lose their fear of humans. It doesn't explain aggressive behavior but it explains overly friendly and fearless behavior.

But, it's also true that bears are losing habitat and are suffering the effects of climate change.

I've always thought that it's unfortunate that we teach small children that bears are cute and huggable. This could have ended very badly.

NCteacher

It wasn’t a huge deal- I am from a tiny town in rural southwest Virginia- the town is literally on top of a mountain. This family lives way out of town and they see bears often. This was from last night. It’s further away but it’s a mama and two babies.

• 3BB5B644-FCD3-4E7C-ADEE-24D1906F90AF.jpeg
    88 KB
Advertisement