• Welcome! Log in or Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Title I budget cut

MrsM

We have 3 Title I teachers, 6 Reading Recovery teachers paid by Title I, 2 Title I teachers in preschool. Last year we each had $700 to spend, and we were warned recently that spending would be less this year, let's start with $500 apiece and see how it goes. We got another email yesterday from the director, she got new information, and budget cuts are going so deep that all supplies may be cut, and maybe even some salary. Salary cuts mean the regular budget picks them up, not that anyone would be let go. She also said to go ahead and make out requisitions, but prioritize them, and to write out an explanation/justification of why we need supplies. Why we need supplies? I guess if my essay wins the board will approve buying my supplies from general budget. I've never seen a year this lean, but I'm fairly recent, not an old-timer. I can just bet you, though, that classroom teachers won't have their budgets cut to nothing.

Advertisement

change2R

Now, you made me nervous. I am leaving a tenured job to take a Title I position in another school district. I will be the only Title I reading teacher in the elementary. Do you think I need to be worried about the position being cut? As far as spending, my new principal told me just to submit requisitions for whatever I need. He didn't tell me an amount. He just said he would let me know if I had spent too much. BTW, you had twice as much to spend last year than I did for my reg. classroom. I think the Title I teacher had less than reg. classroom. The Reading First Coach had all kinds of money to spend!!!

MrsM

By comparison, in my district, the classroom teachers had over $1000 to spend, and they also get what the students are asked to bring in every year. Students bring pencils, tissues, Expo markers, hand soap, desk cleaners, and other general classroom supplies that I have to buy from my budget or from my pocket. Their instructional books come from a textbook budget, but mine come from my room budget. There are major differences. Also, if I'm told a certain amount, I have to spend it all, because funding could be cut the next year by the amount not spent. That's life in Title I.

You might contact the principal, (or whoever it is that you know there) at the school where you'll be going and find out if there have been any cuts to Title I funding from what they expected. We didn't get an explanation, whether the cuts came from a lower free-lunch-count or from a general slashing in the budgets from the government.

Susan/IN

budget cuts

I feel your pain! For the past 4 years our budget was cut 15% each year and our district did NOT pick up any of the costs. We had to let teachers and assistants go, cut programs completely in two schools, and do with little p.d. and supply money. This year we found out we are getting quite an increase. It seems our fair state miscalculated over the past couple of years so many of the schools in our state are getting an increase-at least that's what I was told by my principal. Hang tight and write those other grants, hit PTO up and ask for donations from parents for supplies. They have to furnish supplies for the classroom; you should get a little of that too!

Advertisement