• Welcome teachers! Log in or Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

turn in career

F

feelingdown

Hi,
I've been teaching for over 20 years, mostly as a homeroom teacher but with lots of ESL or Special needs students. In the last few years, I was asked to take kids for reading remedial classes. As the year goes on, I find myself teaching more and more kids with huge family or psychological problems or and learning disabilities. We're abroad and there is no way to get extra help, no counselor, special ed teacher, noone.
As my personal life is changing as well, I feel very frustrated that I don't have the means nor the qualifications to help these kids more. Today, I felt like a social worker helping a mother figure out how she could get a better hold on her current life and improve her situation. Ultimately, I'd like to run a safe home for abused teenagers or kids in need of a place to find themselves back, with my partner. Since I need to wait a few more years before I'm able to do this, I'd like to study and be prepared as much as possible. What do you think? Anyone having been there before? I'm not sure if I should study psychology, social working, special ed teaching...
I'll welcome any comments, as I'm feeling more and more frustrated...
Thanks

M

mdm

change

It sounds like the "I need a change" bug is whispering in your ear.

Investigate your options by contacting a few of the safe houses in your area. See what qualifications are needed to run them. See if they can give you people to contact to find out more information. Also, check out costs, insurance, retirement, etc...

You could check out the social services department in nearby hospitals. A hospital usually has good medical benefits and flexible hours, which is a good thing if you are planning to go back to school. If there aren't openings in social services, you could get something else just to get your foot in the door. Many hospitals hire from within.

If there are lots of changes in your personal life, get as much of those affairs in order before you make a major career change. Too much change can cause problems, too. Small steps...

I wish you the best.

M

mdm

change

It sounds like the "I need a change" bug is whispering in your ear.

Investigate your options by contacting a few of the safe houses in your area. See what qualifications are needed to run them. See if they can give you people to contact to find out more information. Also, check out costs, insurance, retirement, etc...

You could check out the social services department in nearby hospitals. A hospital usually has good medical benefits and flexible hours, which is a good thing if you are planning to go back to school. If there aren't openings in social services, you could get something else just to get your foot in the door. Many hospitals hire from within.

If there are lots of changes in your personal life, get as much of those affairs in order before you make a major career change. Too much change can cause problems, too. Small steps...

I wish you the best.

Advertisement