• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Was a thread deleted?

Other 

eliza4one

Wasn't there a thread on here (Vent) by Savvy regarding the drama? Did you delete it, Savvy, or are the editor(s) by chance, back?

I don't care one way or the other, as I'm not involved, but very curious. It would be great news if the editor was back!

Advertisement

newspedteach

it appears

that the previously banned, repeat offender is gone. Their posts appear to be gone. We can’t delete our own threads, so it had to be an ‘editor’ or someone with access to the website.

I guess I wasn’t so delusional after all… to think that something could be done about the issue. I guess the editor, or whoever, thought it was a big enough problem to do something about. I’m thankful for that.

Teacherbee_4

Life?

If an editor deleted it, it seems like there is a glimmer of hope. However, on those same threads, we posted wondering what was happening. I wish the editor would respond or post an update, especially seeing we asked for it!

kahluablast

That is hopeful! And I am glad that the problem was brought into the public eye and taken care of by the powers that be. Awesome!

WalkDontRun

I was wondering the same thing. If there is an editor it’s pretty crappy that they aren’t communicating with the PT community though. That’s just not asking too much!

Advertisement

eliza4one

I'm glad!

It's about time. Personally, I don't need an explanation from the editor. This is a free site so it's all good with me as long as the site remains.

Last edited:

Haley23

Well, the plot thickens! Very interesting! I personally would prefer an explanation . None of this has made sense to me AT ALL and I'm just dying to know the reasoning behind all of it. This latest development makes me wonder if the editor has actually read all of the posts and is enjoying keeping a "secret?" So strange.

And while it's nice that the site is up and running for those of us who know our passwords/are already logged in, if an editor really is out there, the issue of the "secret passphrase" needs to be resolved. New members can't join and those that forgot their passwords can't get back in because nobody knows what it is. Over time more and more people will lose access, if the only way they're getting in now is being automatically logged in, and then they eventually need to replace the device they're currently using.

tia

can't people who aren't logged in (or aren't members) still see posts and comment on threads? or is that an issue? (they just can't get to certain boards and PM and attach pics....?)

Haley23

can't people who aren't logged in (or aren't members) still see posts and comment on threads? or is that an issue? (they just can't get to certain boards and PM and attach pics....?)

They may be able to see posts (not sure on that front) but they can't comment/post themselves. It used to be that to post as a guest, you just had to fill in the blank in the name of a well-known children's book (presumably to keep out bots). Now, to post as a guest you are asked for "the secret passphrase." Nobody knows what it is, so nobody can post unless they remember their login. You also can't reset your password (that feature doesn't work/doesn't actually send you an email to reset it) nor can you create a new login, because that asks for the "secret passphrase."

tia

Thanks, Haley--that clears it up for me.

I wonder.....the times i needed to go anonymous and signed out---i had to fill in a word from a well-known book title....i seem to recall it being the book....Call of the Wild....or Rebecca from Sunnybrook Farm---not either of those, but similar--4-words maybe?

i wonder if that missing word from that same title is the secret passphrase....if someone recalled that book title...

Angelo

I suspect

it may have been the spam (as opposed to calling another human being ‘turd’ over and over… politics are one thing and often divisive but ‘turd’…seriously, who does that?) that actually got the editors’ attention.

The poster in question began spamming a thread with nonsense posts just to drive up their post count to gain access to the senior member area. Spamming any message board community is usually sufficient to get a suspension or ban. Mind you, it’s sad if spamming is the behavior that is considered to be crossing the line.

I mean, I had someone on here who trolled me for years while hiding behind an anonymous “guest” account (as in no matter what I wrote, she’d pop up just to disagree / write the opposite… I never quite knew what she had against me… I often suspected but couldn’t prove she was actually a disgruntled parent masquerading as a teacher) but even that was mild compared to what had been going on lately.

bGracie

it may have been the spam (as opposed to calling another human being ‘turd’ over and over… politics are one thing and often divisive but ‘turd’…seriously, who does that?) that actually got the editors’ attention.
That could be. I’ve been called much worse, and the editor didn’t do anything about it, so maybe the fact that that poster was posting several times in a row is what got their attention. Odd, but maybe true.

eliza4one

It's kind of strange that only the thread on the Vent board got deleted. The others didn't.

I guess the main thing is he was suspended. I'm sure he'll find a way back...