• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Well I got hosed…lesson learned

GreyhoundGirl

We put in the contract that I’d be responsible for any repairs under $1500. We hit about $1300 and we just found out the stove isn’t working so I’m sure I’ll hit the $1500. I will NEVER put that in a contract again.

Yes, it’s because of this insane market, but it’s costing me a fortune. I’m unhappy. Their contractor’s incompetence is costing me money. All of this stuff are things the contractor messed up during the remodel. I shouldn’t have to pay for it.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Jackie

Oh wow... I have seen houses around me that are listed with a "buyer is responsible for CO and all repairs" but those houses are selling lower because of that. They are usually houses in such a bad shape that they need a total gut. I would not think that a "remodeled" house would need a stipulation like that. Hard lesson to learn-I'm sorry about that.

teachnkids

That sucks, but in this market that's not too bad. I've seen buyers and sellers splitting costs up to 10k!

Many cases now buyers have the power to say nope I'm not doing any repairs. You want my house cough up the money.

I know my DS paid about 2k in costs when he bought his house. The owners knew they could do that because there were others who wanted the house.

GreyhoundGirl

That’s why we did that. Most people are paying all the costs. We honestly didn’t think there’d be anything. And there wouldn’t have been if the contractors hadn’t have made ridiculous mistakes (IE: mixing up the hot and cold water on the kitchen faucets).

sevenplus

My neighbors just sold their house in 3 days for full list price and I was surprised to hear that they were replacing the roof based on the inspection. I thought for sure, in this market, that would be on the buyer.

I'm sorry you have unexpected expenses. As a homeowner, $1500 doesn't seem like much to me. But I guess if you were under the impression that the house wouldn't need anything at all then I can see being irritated.

My house was built at the same time as my neighbor's so I'm assuming we probably need a new roof, too. $15,000.00.

Advertisement

momteachsis

Does the contractor not fix that?

Will the original contractor not fix his mistakes for free?
That just seems wrong and I'm sorry you have got to fix his mistakes!

bonteach

That sucks! :mad:

I am sure when it is all said and done, you will leave many “lovely” reviews for the contractor that screwed up basic things.

tyrex

I'm confused. If you'll hit the $1500 with the stove, doesn't that mean that the seller has to pay? What am I missing?

twinmom95

When did the contractor work on it and make those mistakes? It should be on him to fix it if recent and stupid if former owners just lived with such obvious mistakes from a while ago :rolleyes:.

Btw, usually there are flexible hose lines from water pipes to faucets, so it is an easy fix...just need to switch them. Getting at them in tight spaces is the hardest part!

As PP said, aren't any other necessary repairs on them now that you've hit $1500?

anna

This is a real drag and I'd be concerned about what else will pop up over the years. This is typical home ownership woes. My dd and her family are going through this too. It is amazing what sellers can get away with these days.

GreyhoundGirl

We’re in the seller I would have made the contractor fix the errors at no cost. I suspect had he been paying for it, that would have been the case. Since we put the clause in, I paid for it. Anything over $1500 the seller will pay for. We’re still waiting to see what’s going on with the stove. I wouldn’t be surprised if they turned off the gas since the house vacant and it works fine.

GraceKrispy

Stupid that the remodel has errors. You would think the contractor would have to fix them if no one has lived in there since the remodel. In the grand scheme of things (cost of the house), 1500 isn't a ton of money compared to what I've seen others end up paying. I hope this is the last of the surprise costs!

Advertisement