• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

what are twin sentences?

Language Arts | Writing 

T.A.R.D.I.S

I'm reading through Lucy Calkin's Units of Study and Unit 2 is talking about having the kids use "twin sentences." She gave an example, but it's just not computing in my head. How are these sentences twins? And how do I teach it more clearly to my kiddos? She mentions it in a mid-workshop interruption lesson. I want to teach it as a minilesson. I can't find anything helpful when I google it. I'm hoping you all can help.

Thanks!

Advertisement

ginadoo

If I remember correctly from last year doing the new units, it's when a writer explains a word in the next sentence. Like... You must have a leash to walk dogs not the park. A leash is a rope or tie that goes around the dogs neck to keep it close. It adds detail and is a way to write more about your topic.

A

AMK228

twin sentences

I understand them to be sentences that go back-to-back with "expert word" + definition. E.g.:
Bats are *nocturnal*. *Nocturnal* means that you are awake during the night and asleep during the day.

My second grades loved these and were more than capable of using them in their nonfiction writing.

T.A.R.D.I.S

I had found the stuff on Google and wasn't really thrilled with it. I get the idea now, but I guess I just don't agree with the term "twin". They aren't the same, it's just elaboration. I wish it was called something else. Oh well. I teach them as "twins" and see if my identical twin student says anything. :)

VeraB

Another Phrase

I have heard Stephanie Parsons call them "partner sentences". I think this phrasing is easier to understand. The partner sentence gives more information about the previous sentence. It's a very concrete elaboration strategy that makes sense to my first graders.

Advertisement