• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

What does this objective mean?

Reading | Literature 

SDT

I was given this objective to address with a student. How would you interpret this? What does it mean?

"The student will demonstrate similarities and differences among words in structured activities."

I'm trying to decide how I should address it.

Advertisement

Keltikmom

Objectives

What grade level?

Could be as simple as noticing a small word within a bigger word or a letter pattern in a simple repeating book.

Something to do with being able to add words to a word family list.
And yes, homonyms, synonyms, vowel blends that look the same but sound different.

Interesting objective..pretty broad stroked.

Teacherbee_4

Grade level

I think the extent to what they do this depends on the grade level. Some similarities or differences I can think of are the following:

*Starts with a capital or lowercase letter
*Same or different number of syllables
*long vowels/short vowels
*digraphs
*blends
*Schwa sound (if older)
*Tense ending (ed, ing, etc.)
*regular or irregular past test
*word families

teacherwriter

Maybe also parts of speech? For example, words that can be both a noun and a verb. Or maybe words that have multiple meanings? Interpretation definitely depends on the grade level.

elspeech

What discipline is this for? As an SLP, I would interpret it to mean something more along the lines of compare / contrast, but I would have worded it completely different to make it clear that was what I was looking for.

Advertisement

SDT

Thanks for the responses. I work with middle school and I was kind of hoping this would make more sense to elementary teachers. Apparently it's unclear to everyone. I'm pretty sure that was the intent.

This is the reading goal for a 4th grade student with autism and severe cognitive delays. I did some more reading in his file, and it appears they have been sorting pictures according to categories such as big/little and short/long. The speech goal is for the student to answer questions about a story. The student is non-verbal. No one is working on basic communication. I'm looking at the IEP and I really have no idea what they are thinking or what the student actually needs. <!--grumpy-->:rolleyes:

7more

Word structure

To me this means that a student can look at words and determine the similarities and differences. Here is a web sight that will hopefully help.https://www.weareteachers.com/structured-word-inquiry/
Something as simple as seeing letter changes in words to using root words with suffixes and prefixes to determine word meaning.

• FA29885A-21B9-440B-B170-8E6908AB9338.png
    938.8 KB

marguerite2

Can you ask the person who wrote this what it means? They must have had something in mind when they put it in the IEP.

SnadesIL90

Learning Objectives

I too am curious what age group this student is in. Did you ask the case manager what was meant by this? I would almost take a Mad Libs approach to this and give the student a series of identical sentences where only one word has changed and then have the student tell you what's different and what the difference means.

I would also recommend looking at homonyms so that the student can be shown that even though words may look or sound similar, they have different meanings within the sentence. Using synonyms might also work so that the student can also be shown that even though a sentence might say something different each time the general meaning is the same.

Akitia

If this is a Common Core standard refer to the matrix for your grade level, they give explicit explanations and examples.

K12ENLTeacher

Very broad

This objective is very broad. Can you make it more specific? Also, do you need to teach a strategy as well? In my state we have to create specific objectives that will state a skill and a strategy.

Advertisement