• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

What part of not possible do they not understand

jazzer

I have minimum range of motion in my neck due to arthritis. It has also pushed my neck forward so I am kind of hunched over.

When I go get my hair done leaning back against the shampoo bowl is difficult. I always warn the beautician ahead of time and tell her that my ability to lean back is limited.

I still hear “can’t you lean back any further?” If I could, I would. Then they say well you will get wet and I say, well I pretty much have no choice. Feel free to get me wet, I just want my hair done.

My mom will keep telling me to hold my head up. I have exploded to her 1,000 times my limit in doing this. I know she knows this, why does she continue to tell me to hold my head up?

Advertisement

kerrysgirl

I'm sorry. It sucks to have to keep repeating yourself. I have a similar issue which makes me look like I'm slouching all the time...Nope, I can't sit up more. My back won't allow it.

I hope you got a nice haircut and that people get a clue sometime.

WIConnie

So sorry to hear you are having this problem.

Instead of sitting in the chair to have your hair washed, is there any way you can stand up and lean over while the stylist washes your hair?

jazzer

Thanks. I actually don’t have a regular hairdresser. I go to the same place and take whoever is available.. Many of them do this to me. I am starting to figure out who the better ones are. I have a perm scheduled for Sunday with one of those.

amiga13

Awww, that makes me sad for you.

Even though I explain I will be removing my hearing aids for the wash/cut and won’t be able to hear well, they sometimes don’t understand.

Last edited:
Advertisement

wildflowerz

Don’t have them wash it anymore.

I have neck issues and have stopped having the hairdresser wash my hair. I wash it before I go and they can spray it if it dries. I know some people enjoy the pampering but to me it was torture.

mhugs

I have minimum range of motion in my neck due to arthritis. It has also pushed my neck forward so I am kind of hunched over.

When I go get my hair done leaning back against the shampoo bowl is difficult. I always warn the beautician ahead of time and tell her that my ability to lean back is limited.

I still hear “can’t you lean back any further?” If I could, I would. Then they say well you will get wet and I say, well I pretty much have no choice. Feel free to get me wet, I just want my hair done.

My mom will keep telling me to hold my head up. I have exploded to her 1,000 times my limit in doing this. I know she knows this, why does she continue to tell me to hold my head up?

mhugs

My neck is fused from C3-T2 my hair dresser has been very accomdating because she knows my neck does not bend to twist. She has found pumping the chair higher lets me get my head in the basin/bowl without straining. sometimes she has placed a folded towel along the edge of sink to make it softer for me. She does an awesome relaxing head massage as she shampoos.
Not sure if that will help you.

JanetL

Maybe the person would understand if you said you had a disability and can not lean very much. They may understand the d word.

kidsrterrific

I have neck pain and leaning back hurts a great deal so I come in with freshly washed hair. No hairspray or product. My stylist wets my hair and proceeds from there.

Actually, the shampoo bowl has hurt me ever since I was a young girl. You would think that stylists would be made aware of possible client situations ( hearing aids, neck pain, height issues, etc) as well as everything else in their profession just like we teachers adapt to our differences in students.

lacey2

I have neck pain and leaning back hurts a great deal so I come in with freshly washed hair. No hairspray or product. My stylist wets my hair and proceeds from there.

Actually, the shampoo bowl has hurt me ever since I was a young girl. You would think that stylists would be made aware of possible client situations ( hearing aids, neck pain, height issues, etc) as well as everything else in their profession just like we teachers adapt to our differences in students.
This is what I do as well. My neck and back can’t take leaning back like that.

Teach 5

I thought it was a rule that they had to wash your hair. <!--giggle-->
when my neck is acting up my hairdresser puts a towel on the rim of the bowl. It really helps. I quit going to one that couldn’t understand why my eco can’t bend to the sides.

Advertisement