• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

What to do when the teacher is teaching?

AppleQ

Sometimes while i'm in the classroom and the teacher is doing a whole group lesson I get bored. I can tell the students get bored and tired after a while because they just sit the whole time and listen. I feel like in Kindergarten their should be more songs and movement. The teacher has been teaching for a very long time so i don't want to tell her to try brain breaks but should I casually mention it?

Advertisement

NoKetchup

I have taught Kindergarten for 10 years and I agree with you that there should be more movement BUT I personally wouldn't bring it up to the teacher. They might take the suggestion well or they might take offense to it. When I was working in classrooms before I got my own I would just keep mental track of things I saw that I liked and things that I knew I would do differently.

I would say when you are teaching a whole group lesson throw some movement breaks in there. Maybe the teacher will see that they work and start incorporating them.

cbaron

suggestion

Usually when my cooperating teacher is teaching the class, I make sure that all of the children are paying attention and aren't fooling around. As for the brain breaks, I don't think you should suggest that the teacher use the brain breaks, but maybe when you teach you could implement one and maybe the teacher will see how they can be used.

AppleQ

Great advice

Thank you! I'll definitely try it when when I am teaching. I'll start writing myself little notes to remind me of my observation.

MrsWok

Are you a student teacher? If so, I would not recommend giving suggestions to the teacher. I don't think that would be well received. You could ask the teacher what she would like you do during that time. I know if I had an extra body in the room I would that person working with the students.

Advertisement