• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Who pays?

NCteacher

Looking for opinions. I have one child, a 13 year old DS. We live in a neighborhood where the kids are all a lot younger than him and he attends a private school. He has friends from elementary school, Boy Scouts and his middle school. He really wants a group of his friends to go see the new Jurassic movie this Saturday. I have no problem with that, and DH and I are happy to chaperone (from a distance), but who pays for the tickets? If DS is inviting, should we? I could work it out to pay for tickets, but there’s no way I can afford to feed a crowd of 13 year old boys at the concession stand. Opinions?

Advertisement

kahluablast

I think it all depends on the wording. I would have happily provided funds for tickets and food to be able to drop my child off at that age with supervision.

Gromit

I ageee that wording makes a difference.
I’d say, “We’re going to see JP on Saturday at 2 if you want to send Billy with us. Tickets are $12.”

If you want to spring for a treat, you could add, “We’re buying a couple large popcorns for the kids to split.”

Or if DS is doing the inviting, “He could say “…if you want to join us. Tickets are $12. My mom is going to buy popcorn for everyone to share.”

Ima Spedtcher

When my sons were that age we gave them money for tickets and snacks when they went to movies with friends. I never thought about letting the other parent pay for the pleasure of their company :D

Teacherbee_4

Tough

This is tough. I do like the way others have worded it though. However, with the way theaters work now where you pick your seat, it might be wise to get tickets ahead of time, so they all can sit together. Maybe you do the tickets and suggest they bring money for treats?

NCteacher

You are right- I went online to see about show times and saw that we would choose seats ahead of time. I have never been a big movie fan s d haven’t been to one in a few years. I think we will spring for tix but let the families know (nicely) the kids ca n get thrif own snacks. I just have this visions of 6 or 7 13 year olds with hollow legs bankrupting me!

desert flower

When my kids were invited somewhere at that age, I always paid my kids way. But, I paid other kids way as well when we did the inviting. As others have stated, it's all in the wording.

mommy9298

If my boys were invited any where, I always sent them with money to pay. Sometimes the parents would pay and sometimes they didn’t. If you would like to purchase the tickets and not the snacks, I would just tell the parents we are buying the the tickets and not the snacks. I would not be offended at all if I was told this. Enjoy the movie!

Advertisement