• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Wisdom Teeth Torture

PinkSparkle9

Hi Everyone!
Had my wisdom teeth out Friday. All 4. Pain is unbearably excruciating and puffiness hasn't gone down.

I had to go back to surgeon today and my parents stopped by when I called the office. I asked them if they could take me. They refused saying they had to leave for their trip (they were headed for a state a few hours away for the week). Then they got mad at me for saying I planned this surgery during their trip to make them not go or enjoy it.

Come on?!?! You can't wait 1.5 hours to leave for your trip?!?!

I never had such bad pain ever in my life. I thought when I had pinched nerves in both elbows that was bad. This was just as bad if not worse. Saturday night I cried myself to sleep.

Please hope and pray for a miracle!

Advertisement

mhugs

teeth pain

So what did the oral surgeon say? Did they give you something more for the pain? Have you developed an infection? Oh you poor poor baby!!!!

PEPteach

Im sorry you’re in pain! I had excruciating pain after my last oral surgery. Turns out a nerve was triggered or something. Steroids helped tremendously within hours. Maybe ask if a nerve issue could be a possibility?

Renea

Sorry that you'r win so much pain. Hopefully the surgeon was able to give you something to reduce your discomfort. Knowing that this pain will get better might give you some comfort. You'll get through this.

Claire

How did you do your aftercare?

You should not have that level of pain. My 16 yo got hers out last Tuesday and she had some jaw pain but not bad at all and minimal swelling. Our or surgeon told her to ice both sides every 30 min the first day and night and then continue icing day 2 and that would cut down the swelling. She was also on a schedule for the first 2 days of alternating the pain pill, 3 hours later Tylenol, then 3 hours later the pain pill and so on. What did they say? You should not be hurting like that.

BioAdoptMom3

You must have been so hurt when your parents treated you that way. Is that typical? I am so sorry.

How are you feeling now? Did you see the surgeon?

Nancy

Advertisement

letsgomets

Pain

should be subsiding some by now. I had all 4 out at once years ago, and I didn't have as much pain as you are describing. I hope you get some relief soon.

WalkDontRun

It sounds like you may have dry socket which is an incredibly painful complication of tooth extraction—usually wisdom teach. I had it and thought the pain was worse than natural childbirth. I really can feel your pain and hope you get some relief soon.

PinkSparkle9

Thanks everyone! I just cried. It hurts so bad. Puffiness hasn’t gone down.

I know I don’t mean it but have you ever been in such bad pain that you would rather die than experience this? I will be fine. I have so much life left to live. I am not taking life for granted after this. I’m living it up to its fullest.

Dr said take 2 Alieve’s morning and evening. He gave me a mouthwash to use. Said I’m healing fine and this is to be expected.

Englishish

I don’t remember pain anything like this when I had mine done. It’s reassuring that he says you’re healing well, but does he understand the level of pain you’re dealing with?

TAOEP

Some pain after oral surgery is to be expected, but NOT that much. If things don't improve, go back again. It's good to hear that the oral surgeon doesn't see any signs of infection or complications. But I think that severe pain is a complication and the doctor needs to pay attention.

Haley23

I remember getting something much stronger than Aleve when I had my wisdom teeth surgery. I wonder if that's why you're having so much trouble? You weren't given anything else to take after the surgery?

In fact, my friend got hers done shortly after mine, and her mom didn't want to spend SEVEN DOLLARS on the pain meds prescription (no, they weren't poor) and was convinced extra strength tylenol would be fine. It wasn't.

I had a bad reaction to the anesthesia and had to deal with that (it wore off, of course) and I was really unhappy with only being able to eat jello. But I took the pain meds and don't remember being in pain at all.

Lilbitkm

Just echoing what everybody else has said already, I had very minimal pain with my extractions. The swelling/bruising was also minimal as I was given an ice pack to wear and was diligent with it.

I definitely got prescription pain pills. I only needed them the first, maybe 36 hours, but I definitely needed them.

I also was throwing up and not great after getting home due to the anesthesia and swallowing the blood so I didn’t feel great but never to the extent that you’re describing.

I know I don’t mean it but have you ever been in such bad pain that you would rather die than experience this? I will be fine. I have so much life left to live. I am not taking life for granted after this. I’m living it up to its fullest.
Pain from wisdom teeth extraction shouldn’t ever be this serious.
They didn’t say you have a dry socket?

Claire

Your surgeon

Your surgeon doesn't sound like they covered everything. You have to have dry socket, and infection, or something going on. Day 3 my daughter was almost fine except soreness. They should have given you a pain pill also. Did you ice?

kahluablast

I can’t imagine not going home with pain meds. The only reason that I could see now for not giving pain meds is an addiction (which I don’t think is possible) or maybe Pink has a very low pain tolerance.

If I was very swollen or in that much pain this long after the surgery I would find a second opinion. Maybe go to urgent care after hours or call the surgeons office and see if someone else could check you.

cheerio

Something doesn’t add up here. Either the Dr is missing something and you have dry sockets or infection or something.

Or everything is medically fine and like someone else said you have a really low pain tolerance? I’m wondering if that’s the case since your parents didn’t seem too concerned? I remember years ago a post from you when you were sick alone at home and you were upset cause you went to your brother’s house sick and you didn’t feel they were helping you enough even though they had a young baby. Just wondering if there is a pattern here and that’s why your parents gave the response they did?

In any case this doesn’t seem normal. By day 3 I was back at work at the time (not teaching, I was 19).
I hope you feel better soon.

PinkSparkle9

Doing a tiny bit better today. Still in pain but much more bearable. Everyone is different. I was given narcotics and I took a couple times but alieve actually helped the most to be honest.

The pain was not anywhere near the tooth extraction which was odd. It’s more in jaw and cheek.

This is why I don’t come on here much because of assumptions. Most pain I can tolerate but excruciating or stomach bug. I had a pinched nerve gears ago in both elbows. That was awful pain too. Until you’ve experienced it you wouldn’t know. My mom is actually impressed how I handle pain most of the time.

Claire

Pink

I read that horrible pain in the jaw means dry socket. Did you drink out of a straw or anything that could have caused it right after? If you look at the sites with your phone light can you see down into the extraction sites like bone? (I'm not a weirdo i read about it when my dd went in last week <!--giggle-->)