• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Would you move to KG

Idaho4me

I have been in first for many years. Due to shift in classes someone needs to move. There will be an opening in KG. I am an older teacher but pretty energetic. What do you think? I loved it when I did 1-2 looping -- no longer an option. It would be easy to stay in first, but I do like change. Are there any older teachers that have gone down to KG?

Advertisement

Zia

I've only ever taught Pre-K and K..and have no plans to ever leave early childhood. Good luck making this decision.

luvtulearn

Some factors to consider. . .

--a love for for 4-5 year olds

--all day or 1/2 day
--class size
--student dynamics ( high at risk population) . . .perhaps some preschool, feeder school,
--classroom aides, volunteers, parent support etc. . .
--ample supplies and materials
--communicate with K teachers as to the pros and cons
--principal that is understanding, knowledgable, or has experience with kinders.

--and lots and lots of patience. . .

I taught transitional kinder for 2 years at age 57 and now am a reading intervention teacher that services 20 Kinders. We went from a 52% free lunch school to now almost 80% free lunch school and the kinder teachers really feel it.
Good luck in your decision.

ICrazyTeach

I made the transition from 1st to K years ago and now have both. I absolutely love kindergarten! It is exhausting, though, and a ton of work. You have teach all the social stuff, how to "do" school and all the academics. You also have to teach the new parents<!--giggle--> Kinder babies also give you so much love and laughter (even more than firsties). Good luck with your decision!

anna

I have done this and think it was a very wise move. Common Core Kindergarten is the first grade of just a few years ago. I enjoy the age group and find their enthusiasm for learning the key to surviving these tough years in our profession.

Tiffany

First to K

I taught first grade for 12 years and loved it. When there were openings in K, I took a leap of faith and switched grade levels. It was a bit of a shock to the system at first, but I feel like it’s the best decision I’ve ever made. I don’t think I realized how you have to teach them EVERYTHING...how to wait in line, get drinks, close the bathroom door/flush/wash hands...In my experience, the first month is the most challenging, mentally, physically, and emotionally but it is so worth it.

Advertisement

yellowflowers

I moved to first grade as a veteran teacher after teaching many years of kinder. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Good luck with your decision!

SevernK

moving down to KG

3 years ago I moved from 2nd grade to Kindergarten. To be honest, I was scared to death! I found it very challenging to go from working with students who were extremely independent to very young children who still needed an abundance of guidance. At first, I was extremely out of my comfort zone but over time, I developed quite an affection for Kindergarten and working with five and six-year-olds. Though I find it more challenging than previous grades, I can truly say that I would not go back. I am hooked! Good luck with your decision.

Advertisement