• Are you a teacher? Join us! Register Now for a free ProTeacher account!

Writers Workshop

Reading | Literature 

lblau6680

Does anyone know of any professional books that explicitly explain writers workshop? From implementation? to organization? to mini lessons? EVerything!

Advertisement

Letty

Letty

The Lucy Caulkins Units of Study are great. You can get the 11 boooks from
Scholastic by calling 1-800-724-6527. Ask for item #960375. They cost
about $15.00 plus $2.50 shipping and handling. They can ship to your school
or your house. Enjoy.

SwimmerGirl

Go directly to Heinemann. I just ordered my own personal set because I changed schools and didn't have access anymore. They give a 20% discount.

lblau6680

Lucy Calkins

Are the Units of Study user friendly? I need something that's going to help me launch, implement, etc....My district is horrible and so I am hoping to do my own thing this year with reading/writers workshop.

Mz. L.

Totally!

You'll need writing folders, red and green sticker dots, paper (You can copy from the Units' CD), and mentor texts. The books, or others like them, should be in the school or public library. I also use chart tablets.
You'll love it!

Advertisement

Mz. L.

Yes!

Will your school buy it? I had to buy my set, but it is very worth it. It will provide all of the information and organization that you need.

MsKT

books

I also highly recommend the UoS books and they are helpful and user-friendly. But I would also suggest The Writing Workshop by Katie Wood Ray and Lester Laminack. It doesn't go into all the detail about specific units/lessons but I think it gives a really solid overview of how you can set up routines, classroom, etc., to have success with writing workshop and UoS. I've been teaching using UoS for years but this is still a go-to reference for me.

Advertisement